The Val Senales Valley has been a destination for hikers and skiers since the 1920s. At the beginning of the 1960s a group of young businessmen founded a company with the goal of developing a ski area. Between 1956 and 1970 the first ski lifts were constructed.
Founding and construction
With the guidance of the Val Senales local businessman Leo Gurschler
, the cable car company Funivie Ghiacciai Val Senales SpA
was founded in 1972
. After years of challenging and extensive construction in the Grawand area, partially by Leo Gurschler himself, the Val Senales Glacier Cable Car celebrated its grand opening on July 12, 1975
. Its construction opened the way for the ski area at the Hochjochferner Glacier.
The small town of Maso Corto/Kurzras at the foot of the glacier was once home to only a few farms. Under Leo Gurschler’s guidance, the town expanded and transformed into the present Maso Corto “sports town”
, or so-called Sportdorf. In the decades that followed, new lifts, slopes and mountain huts, as well as a hydro-electric power plant were added. To remember the pioneering work of the then-young farmer and businessman Leo Gurschler
, in September 2007 a memorial was erected in his honour in the town of Maso Corto.
the South Tyrolean company Athesia
and the Innsbruck entrepreneur family Schröcksnadel
took over the majority of shares
in Schnalstaler Gletscherbahnen AG.
In autumn 2018
, the Schröcksnadel family sold their shares to Athesia
, which has held the sole majority of the shares